Daniel has a general commercial law practice, with a particular interest in matters concerning company law, insolvency, trusts, banking and trade practices law. Daniel is a member of Lonsdale Chambers. Daniel read with Stephen Parmenter. Daniel is a contributing author to Lexis-Nexis' Bankruptcy Law and Practice.
Prior to joining the bar, Daniel was a senior associate at Arnold Bloch Leibler in its Litigation Group. In 2009/10, Daniel was associate to the Honourable Justice Finkelstein. In 2007, Daniel completed the IPA’s ‘Insolvency Education Program’, finishing fifth in Australia.
Daniel regularly appears for insolvency practitioners and in class action proceedings. Some recent matters in which Daniel has acted include:
- advising Slater & Gordon regarding a proposed restructure by way of scheme of arrangement (led by P Crutchfield QC, ongoing);
- acting for a judgment creditor in related proceedings in Victorian Supreme Court, County Court and Federal Circuit Court (led by M Scott QC, ongoing);
- a joint venture dispute the subject of both Supreme Court and arbitral proceedings (led by P Crutchfield QC, ongoing);
- Supreme Court proceedings acting for a director in respect of insolvent trading claims and directors' duty claims (ongoing);
- Supreme Court proceedings concerning contested a contested claim for remuneration by liquidators (ongoing): see eg Turner v Atwell (unreported, Efthim AsJ, 14 December 2016); see also Atwell v Turner  VSC 212 (successful application for security for costs of appeal);
- Supreme Court proceedings seeking directions on behalf of deed administrators: Re Western Port Holdings Pty Ltd  VSC 280 (led by M Galvin QC);
- advising the administrators of the Arrium Group of companies (led by P Crutchfield QC);
- ACT Supreme Court proceedings concerning employment issues (ongoing);
- representative proceedings issued in the Supreme Court of NSW concerning alleged breaches of trustees' duties under Chapter 2L of the Corporations Act: Creighton v AET (led by A Coleman SC; ongoing);
- Supreme Court proceedings concerning challenges to the appointment of receivers (since settled): GG v Atlas (led by M Galvin QC);
- Supreme Court proceedings concerning claims for oppression and breach of trust (since settled): Bayliss v Santospirito & ors (led by J Peters QC);
-Federal Court proceedings concerning alleged negligence, misleading conduct and unconscionable conduct: Devon v Madgwicks & Anor  FCA 875;
- Federal Court class action proceedings concerning claims for misleading conduct and breach of continuous disclosure provisions: Earglow v Newcrest (led by M Collins QC);
- Federal Circuit Court proceedings acting on behalf of trustees in bankruptcy regarding a bankrupt's application to travel overseas: Pinto v Pinto;
- Supreme Court proceedings concerning breach of contract and injunctions (as to the latter, see Orora v Lindsay  VSC 215) (led by S Horgan QC);
- Federal Court class action proceedings alleging breach of trustee's duties under Chapter 2L of the Corporations Act: Camilleri v The Trust Company (Nominees)  FCA 1468 (led by L Armstrong QC);
- Supreme Court proceedings concerning alleged misuse of company property: Traffic Calming Australia v CTS Creative Traffic Solutions  VSC 741 (led by S Parmenter);
- Supreme Court proceedings concerning dispute regarding voluntary administrators' action: Stone (in his capacity as joint and several deed administrator of 3GS Holdings Pty Ltd) (subject to deed of company arrangement)  VSC 145;
- Supreme Court proceedings on behalf of liquidators concerning insolvent trading: Labour Connection v Pignataro;
- Supreme Court proceedings concerning alleged unfair preferences and uncommercial transactions: 640 Elizabeth Street v Maxcon  VSC 22 (led by Ian Martindale QC);
- Federal Court proceedings issued by Asahi Holdings (Aust) Pty Ltd regarding the sale of the Independent Liquor business (led by A Archibald QC and P Crutchfield QC);
- Federal Court proceedings issued by the ACCC against Coles Express and other petrol retailers alleging contraventions of s 45 of the CCA (led by N Young QC and M Borsky);
- Federal Court representative proceedings issued against Bell Potter (led by I Pike SC);
- a High Court appeal regarding the disclaimer of a lease by a liquidator of a landlord: Willmott Growers Group v Willmott Forests Ltd (recs and mgrs apptd) (in liq) (2013) 215 CLR 592 (led by P Crutchfield QC);
- a Federal Court application concerning approval of the payment of costs under a class action settlement: Modtech Engineering Pty Limited v GPT Management Holdings Limited (No 2)  FCA 1163 (led by P Crutchfield QC);
- Supreme Court proceedings by a mortgagor seeking to set aside a loan and mortgage pursuant to responsible lending provisions and other defences, and in a subsequent successful application under r 15.08 of the Supreme Court (General Civil Procedure) Rules 2005 (Vic) for approval of a settlement (led by A Rodbard-Bean).
Please click here to view the List A Barristers profile of Daniel Snyder.