The Migration Law Bar Association was established in 2015.
The Association has various aims, including: to be a network for exchanging knowledge and ideas about migration law: to foster collegiality and closer working and social relationships between members of the Bar who practise in the area; to liaise with courts, tribunals, government departments and law reform agencies in relation to migration law; and to promote Victorian barristers in Victoria and interstate.
Purposes and Objectives
The purposes of the MIGRATION LAW BAR ASSOCIATION OF VICTORIA (established 2015) (“the Association”) are:
- To be a Bar Practice Association of The Victorian Bar Incorporated and to liaise with the Victorian Bar Council in relation to matters of concern or interest to members of the Association – in particular, so as to engage in consultation with the Bar Council before it formulates any policy, position or submission, or makes any decision, on migration law related matters.
- To seek representation on and to liaise with committees of the Bar in relation to matters of concern or interest to members of the Association.
- To be a network for exchanging knowledge and ideas about migration law and to keep up to date in developments in the legislation, cases and practice in this area of law.
- To foster collegiality and closer working and social relationships between members of the Bar who practise or are interested in migration law; and with others who work or practise or have an interest in the area of migration law.
- To facilitate mentoring between senior and more experienced practitioners and junior and less experienced practitioners.
- To establish communications and actively liaise with courts, tribunals, authorities, government departments and instrumentalities, law reform agencies and all other associations, bodies and persons involved in, concerned with, or interested in, the area of migration law.
- To formulate policies and positions for the development, reform and improvement of migration law, policy and practice and to co-ordinate, make, and join in making submissions to the sorts of bodies and persons described in purpose (6) immediately above.
- To develop, present and co-ordinate and join in information sessions and continuing professional development programs, conferences and other outlets whereby the legal profession, other interested professional groups and the public may increase their knowledge and understanding of migration law, policy
and practice – and to encourage participation by members of the Association.
- To liaise with Bar committees such as the Bar Pro Bono Committee and the Bar Duty Barristers Scheme Committee and to assist in the co-ordination of pro bono contributions in the area of migration law.
- To be a platform to promote Victorian barristers both in Victoria and elsewhere and to provide and disseminate information on the briefing of, and services provided by, barristers practising or interested in practising in migration law.