The Commercial Bar Association of Victoria Inc. A0120851O (CommBar) was established to provide commercial lawyers and in-house counsel with centralised up-to-date information on commercial legal matters and access to barristers in all areas of commercial law.
Our barristers have qualifications and experience in all areas
- Arbitration & ADR
- Asia Practice
- Banking & Finance
- Construction Law
- Corporate & Securities
- Environment & Planning
- Insolvency Law
- Insurance & Prof Negligence
- International Law
- IP & Trade Practices
- Property & Probate
- Public Law
CommBar encourages professionalism from its members, providing a forum for knowledge sharing and updating of skills and works closely with the Victorian Bar Council, courts and government on major initiatives such as law reform and specific aspects of commercial law.
How CommBar can help you
CommBar's barristers offer the following services:
- specialist advice
- drafting of documents and pleadings
- advocacy in courts, tribunals and other forums
- arbitration services
- mediation services
- expert advice on Australian law in foreign disputes.
Our barristers welcome briefs ranging from small to large and simple to complex matters. Many of our members are entitled to practise in the UK, USA, Hong Kong, New Zealand and South Pacific jurisdictions like Papua New Guinea, Fiji, Vanuatu and Solomon Islands.
Purposes and objectives
The objects of the Commercial Bar Association of Victoria (established 26 October 1994) are:
- To be an association of the Victorian Bar Inc and provide a forum for meetings of Barristers of the Bar who practice in or have an interest in commercial law and to foster closer working and social relationships between them.
- To bring to the attention of members, through the medium of regular meetings, matters of concern or interest or both relating to commercial law and to conduct discussions and formulate position statements or recommendations or both for submission to such person or body as the Committee may deem proper
- To establish communications and actively liaise with Courts, Tribunals, authorities, government departments and instrumentalities and other associations and bodies concerned with or interested in commercial law
- To seek representation on and liaison with committees of the Victorian Bar concerned with matters of concern to members
- To liaise with the Bar Council of the Victorian Bar in relation to matters of concern to members of the Association and to ensure that, as far as practicable, consultation between the Bar Council and the Committee takes place before the Bar Council formulates policies or makes decisions on commercial law matters
- To encourage participation by members in continuing legal education programmes, conferences and other outlets whereby the legal profession, other interested professional groups and the public may increase their knowledge and understanding of commercial law.
- Until such time as the Association may become incorporated under the Associations Incorporation Act 1981, and subject to these Rules, to carry on its management and organisation as if it were an incorporated association.
Click here to visit the CommBar Matters blog