Alan is a commercial barrister with broad general experience. Since coming to the Bar, Alan has acted for clients in a diverse range of industries, including prominent companies operating in the fields of telecommunications and internet service provision, e-commerce, construction, manufacturing, natural resources, financial services and fashion. His background and experience mean that he is well equipped to understand absorb the technical information and issues that arise in the context of litigation in those industries.
Some of the matters in which Alan has been involved include:
- The long running dispute between Biota and its licensing partner GlaxoSmithKline in relation to Biota’s anti-influenza drug Relenza: Biota Scientific Management v Glaxo Group Limited
- Proceedings for breach of contract and a patent licensing dispute between QPSX and Ericsson: QPSX v Ericsson Australia
- An action for breach of contract and TPA contraventions pursued by the licensor of the “Celebrity Slim” range of meal replacement products against its manufacturer and distributor: Hi-Performance Health v Probiotec Pharma & Ors
- An action by adhesive manufacture RLA Polymers against former employees for breach of confidence: RLA Polymers v Nexus Adhesives & Ors
- A dispute between Mitre 10 and Bunnings over their competing attempts to acquire a hardware store business: Mitre 10 Australia v Bunnings Group Limited .
- The long running shareholder class action against the GPT property group for breaches of the continuous disclosure regime and misleading and deceptive conduct: Modtech Engineering v GPT Management Holdings.
- Acting for an oil exploration company in defending a challenge by a minority shareholder to the validity of director appointments and share issues: Oil Basins Limited v Bass Strait Oil Company Ltd.
- Numerous actions for breaches of Australian Master Securities Lending agreement: for example, McLauchlan v Chimaera Capital Limited; Primebroker Securities Ltd v Kangaroo Resources Limited.
- Proceedings for breach of contract and copyright infringement between Boeing and a former contractor: ACP Machinery v Aerospace Technologies Australia.
- Trade mark infringement proceedings by Bob Jane Corporation against its founder and former Chairman, Mr Robert Jane: Bob Jane Corporation v Bob Jane Global Tyre Corporation.
Alan also is a member of the Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand and a regular contributor to the IP Forum, a quarterly intellectual property journal. He also has given a number of public and in-house presentations on topics ranging from trade marks and patent law, to general contract and litigation matters.
Prior to coming to the Bar, Alan was a Senior Associate at Blake Dawson Waldron (now Blake Dawson) where he worked in the Intellectual Property and IT & Telecommunications departments. He has acted as lead advisor on various State government projects and related disputes, and spent seven months on secondment as in-house counsel to Hewlett-Packard Australia.
Alan also has significant overseas experience, working for two and a half years at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer. During that time, he worked on a variety of cross-border transactions, negotiations and disputes involving well-known multinational companies. Alan also worked for a year in the Federal Court of Australia as Associate to the Chief Justice.
In the course of his career, Alan has acted for many high profile clients and government departments in a wide range of commercial, intellectual property and trade practices disputes. His experience both before and since coming to the Bar extends to all matters involving contract, copyright, trade marks, patents, breach of confidence, trade practices, internet domain name disputes, property and corporations law issues.
Click here for my Greens List profile