Jacqualyn brings extensive experience from the financial services sector, as in-house counsel then a company secretary and director with one of Australia’s major banks. She also played a leadership role in global banking risk management with that institution.
As a barrister, she brings unique experience and understanding of the requirements of in-house counsel in the corporate sector, along with significant commercial expertise. Her beginnings in private practice focused on the legal areas of insolvency, bankruptcy and financial services litigation where she first began appearing in VCAT, Magistrates, County, Supreme, and Federal and Appeal Court matters.
Jacqualyn took leave from her general counsel and leadership roles to apply her significant expertise to represent the Yawuru native title holders in settlement negotiations with the WA State Government, and then establishing and running the company structures, frameworks and operations of the entities associated with the Yawuru Corporate Group.
Before signing the Bar Roll, she worked with a mining and resources company in Perth on matters related to mining explorations, tax reform submissions and joint operating agreements, and was responsible for briefing external counsel.
Overview of legal expertise
Professional associations and appointments Professional memberships
- Insolvency & debt recovery
- Banking & finance
- Commercial Law
- Company Secretariat
- Corporate governance
- Native Title Negotiations
- Regulatory & Statutory compliance
- Tendering & procurement
Awards & directorships
- Indigenous Law Students and Lawyers Association (Tarwirri)
- Law Institute of Victoria
- Law Society of Western Australia
- Australian Institute of Company Directors
- 2006 - Victoria Police commendation for Operation LUNAS (a major fraud squad criminal investigation)
- Independent Non Executive Director – Aboriginal Housing Victoria