Mr. McInnis practised in a wide area of commercial, civil, criminal and administrative law for a period of 20 years at the Bar from 1980 to 2000. He was appointed as a Chapter III Justice of the Federal Magistrates Court of Australia (now the Federal Circuit Court of Australia) in June 2000. He resigned his Commission on 28 January 2008 and returned to the Bar on 4 February 2008.
During his time as a Commonwealth Justice Mr. McInnis delivered almost 800 judgments (with media neutral citations) mainly in general federal law of which approximately 70 have been reported. The judgments covered a wide area of commercial law, administrative law, human rights and family law.
Administrative Law: Strutt & Anor v Australian Community Pharmacy Authority & Ors  92 ALD 608; Schramm & Ors v Commissioner for Complaints, Commonwealth Aged Care Complaints Resolution Scheme & Ors  205 FLR 1
Bankruptcy: Elliott v Water Wheel Holdings Pty Ltd  189 FLR 126; Brien v Grapsas & Ors  181 FLR 314; Vince v State of Tasmania  195 ALR 559
Copyright: MG Distribution Pty Ltd & Ors v Khan  230 ALR 532; C & J Designer Homes Pty Ltd v Robey & Anor  69 IPR 588; Paramount Design v Awaba Group & Ors  AIPC 91-905; Human Rights: Gardner v National Netball League Pty Ltd  182 ALR 408
Migration: Zhou v Minister for Immigration & Anor (No.1)  197 FLR 8
Trade Practices: Taylor v CGU Insurance Ltd  193 FLR 120; Hebbard v Bell Potter Securities Ltd  ATPR 42-063; 191 FLR 68
Human Rights (Discrimination): Wiggins v Department of Defence – Navy  FLR 438.
Since returning to the Bar examples of cases where Mr McInnis appeared are:-
Secretary, Department of Social Security v Carapeta  FCR 1369; Secretary, Department of Families, Housing and Community Services & Indigenous Affairs v Mouratidis (2012) 200 FCR 464;  FCAFC 29; Secretary, Department of Social Services v Vaneski  FCA 433.
Mijac Investments Pty Ltd v Graham (No.2) (2009) 72 ACSR 684;  FCA 779; Feldman v Frontlink P/L  VSCA 2.
Commissioner of Patents v Sherman (2008) 79 IPR 426.
Both as a mediator and barrister Mr McInnis has been involved in a number of cases which settled before trial and these include bankruptcy, insurance, commercial, personal injuries and family law.
Given his wide practical experience as a barrister combined with over seven years judicial service Mr. McInnis will accept briefs as an Accredited Mediator or appear as a barrister.
Mr. McInnis will accept briefs in the following areas –
MEDIATION – all Jurisdictions – Mediator or Participant (half or one day).
COMMERCIAL AND CIVIL LITIGATION
• Australian Competition and Consumer Law (formerly Trade Practices)
• Intellectual property (including copyright and patent)
• Insurance law (all matters arising from insurance contracts including personal injuries)
• Civil Litigation – Tort and Contract
- Federal and State Administrative Law
- Migration Law
- Sports Law
- Victorian Bar Ethics Committee since 2013
- Victorian Bar Human Rights Committee since 2012
- Victorian Bar Commercial Bar Association – Sports Law Committee
- White Ribbon Australia – Director since 2012 and Lead Ambassador - Legal Sector
- President United Nations Association of Australia (Victoria) 2012-2013
- Judge United Nations of Australia Media Awards 2002-2012. Chairman of Judging Panel of UNAA 2009-2012
- Victorian Football Federation – Appeals Board Judge 2011-2014
- Member of Australian Insurance Law Association
- Member of Australian Administrative Law Association
- Member of Copyright Society
- Member of International Commission of Jurists